Statistics is an important branch of mathematics. Without statistics, it is not possible to reach a conclusion of the collected data. Statistics subject deals with data only. It aids in organizing the raw data in a proper manner.
The following sequence must be followed to learn these topics one by one:
- Tabulation and descriptive statistics- Along with the methods and formulas, try to learn their meaning, concepts and where it is applied. Practice different problems and data sets.
- Probability theory and statistical distributions- Try to understand the ins and outs of Gaussian distribution.
- Sampling and sampling distribution
- Estimation and statistical inference
- Correlation and regression
After that, you can learn time series, index numbers, decision theory, etc. but you should understand the concepts of each topic properly before jumping on to the next topic.
When you are good at statistics, then you will be able to separate the valuable data from the unnecessary ones. A non-statistic person will not be able to separate the raw data from the required data. All this can be done with the help of statistics.
Given below are some tips to get better at statistics.
- Know the importance of statistics – Statistics plays an important role in our day-to-day lives. All industries use statistics to do their routine work. For example, statistics is involved when the doctor tells us about the benefits or side-effects of a particular surgery. Everyday we watch the statistics over the internet or the news channels about employment rate, GDP, and so on. Thus, it is clear that statistics is very important for us and it must be studied. Nowadays, there are various resources which are available on the internet and offline as well to get proper understanding of statistics. There are also books available in the market to learn about statistics from basic to the advanced level.
- Learn the common terms used in statistical analysis –
- Mode – The set of data values which occurs most in a given dataset is called the mode.
- Median – It is the measure of central tendency.
- Standard deviation – It is the measurement used to quantify the amount of variation of a set of data values.
- Distribution – It is a list of function which shows all possible values of data and how often it occurs.
- Bell-shaped curve – It is an asymmetrical bell-shaped curve which shows the distribution of values, frequencies, or possibilities.
- Probability – It is a table or an equation that connects results of statistical experiment to the probability of an event.
- Apply statistics to everyday life – Start to apply statistics in your day-to-day life to make solid decisions. Statistics will aid in spending your money in an efficient way. We also get several statistics from newspapers, politics, sports, and media.
- Learn about statistics about what people tell you and ask them questions – Statistics is considered as one of the toughest subjects whether you are an intelligent person or an average person. When you begin to study statistics, you will be able to learn better by asking questions from your mentor. You should concentrate on what the mentor teaches. This is the best and smart way to learn statistics. Your attentiveness can help you master statistics.
- Find some software which will assist in manipulating a given set of values – Statistics software has a vital role in learning statistics. This software helps in manipulating data effortlessly then you can do manually. There are many commands in the software to do some pre-set tasks.
- Use of distributive method– Candidates should use distributive method of practice rather than massed practice. One or two hours should be set aside at the same time each day for six days out of the week. One should take the seventh day off to study statistics. Do not just study for four or five hours in one or two sittings in a week. This is called the cardinal principle.
- Try to study in groups of three or four students together – While studying together, there is interchange of knowledge, concepts and skills. Therefore, there will be better understanding.
Learn how to solve the below Question:
- Never memorize formulas – Study only the concepts and do not try to memorize formulas. When a need arises to use a statistical concept, then you can always look up the formula in a textbook.
- Try to practice several problems and exercises as possible – Practice all that is there in a workbook. Statistics cannot be mastered just by reading the book. One has to practice repeatedly whatever has been learned.
- Try to find out the repeated topics – There are probably a few topics which keeps on repeating over and over again. Take guidance from your teachers regarding this.
- Try to become like a Gestalt Psychologist – In other words, study the whole of statistics and not some parts only.
- Take counseling sessions – If you have anxiety disorder about statistics, then take counselling sessions to alleviate the problem. Make sure to get help from professionals.